role is not defined with the “usual” definition of artist. Rather, think of this role
as looking at
information in unusual ways and making new connections that transform the information
into something different.
to this role is the concept of “connection” and “creating something new.”
Perhaps one of the biggest obstacles facing you when you hear about this role is the issue of artistic ability. So many people will immediately say…”Oh, I can’t draw, I can’t do this role.”
This role is not necessarily about your ability to draw, but rather your ability to connect one thing to another, and in doing so, see something that is new and different that can result from the connection.
It is important that when you are in the role of the Artist, you need to “do” something to whatever you are looking at….you need to transform and manipulate the information. And when you are “doing something” to that information, be careful not to seek the “right” way to do it…here the Judge can enter the scene and get in the way of your actual doing something to that information.
The strategy associated with the Artist is “C.R.E.A.T.E. !”
How can you develop your Artist?You can select any of these seven components of the C.R.E.A.T.E.! strategy and work on that component.
For a start, I’d like to suggest the “C” component….Connect. The exercise I am going to give you will help you start connecting ideas/concepts. As we are about to begin I would like to point out that this is not a pure math equation of 1+1=2. Instead I hope you get something that is not the expected, not the predictable….hence a creation of something that you were expecting.
Follow these 10 suggestions and see what connections you come up with:
1) FROG + BUBBLE : ________________________
2) PENCIL + LEAF: __________________________
3) DANCER + VELCRO:_______________________
4) MOON + RAINDROP:______________________
5) BUBBLEGUM + MICROSCOPE:_______________
7) DRUM + SPAGHETTI:______________________
8) WARRIOR + MARSHMALLOW:_______________
9) MONEY + CATERPILLAR:____________________
10) CUP + DISCOVERY:________________________
A Coaching Note:Were your connections obvious ones or were they novel and unexpected? What you want to shoot for is breaking out of the obvious and expected response. For instanceDon’t take the first idea…push and work it to get something new and different.
One technique to use while doing each paring above is to say the words out loud…reverse them in order…close your eyes when you do this as it may help you break through the “obvious.”
Let’s try it again….I am going to re-arrange the words and their combinations. Try it again and see how you can “give yourself permission” to just play with this and see where it takes you in connecting these thoughts and coming up with something totally different than the two root words.
1) CATERPILLAR + CUP: ___________________________
2) MICROSCOPE + DANCER: ________________________
3) DISCOVERY + PENCIL:___________________________
4) BUBBLE + WARRIOR:____________________________
5) MARSHMALLOW + DRUM:________________________
7) RAINDROP + MONEY:___________________________
8) VELCRO + FERN:_______________________________
9) SPAGHETTI + FROG:____________________________
10) KLEENEX + MOON:_____________________________
What results did you get on this second round of connecting? Were your results a little less obvious and more novel?
You can also try connecting different words, or re-arranging these 20 words again to keep practicing your expansive connecting ability.
Feel free to work on other Artist strategies so you can expand the power of your ability to C.R.E.A.T.E.!
Oh, yes…don’t forget to have some fun along the way…that is an amazing ingredient that will help with you getting some interesting results! Don’t underestimate the power of laughter and endorphins!